Free PDF Books
- The Fur Country
- Les Indes Noires
- De La Terre a La Lune
- Voyage Au Centre De La Terre
- From the Earth to the Moon and Round the Moon
- Meridiana: the Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa
- Dick Sand; or, a Captain at Fifteen
- The Special Correspondent; or, the Adventures of Claudius Bombarnac
- Off on a Comet, or Hector Servadac
An Antarctic Mystery
Excerpt: boatswain presented himself on the following morning without any notice or introduction. He already knew my name, and he accosted me as follows:
"Mr. Jeorling, I salute you."
"I salute you in my turn, my friend. What do you want?"
"To offer you my services."
"On what account?"
"On account of your intention to embark on the Halbrane."
"Who are you?"
"I am Hurliguerly, the boatswain of the Halbrane, and besides, I am the faithful companion of Captain Len Guy, who will listen to me willingly, although he has the reputation of not listening to anybody."
"Well, my friend, let us talk, if you are not required on board just now."
"I have two hours before me, Mr. Jeorling. Besides, there's very little to be done to-day. If you are free, as I am--"
He waved his hand towards the port.
"Cannot we talk very well here?" I observed.
"Talk, Mr. Jeorling, talk standing up, and our throats dry, when it is so easy to sit down