Free PDF Books
- The Fur Country
- Les Indes Noires
- De La Terre a La Lune
- Voyage Au Centre De La Terre
- From the Earth to the Moon and Round the Moon
- Meridiana: the Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa
- Dick Sand; or, a Captain at Fifteen
- The Special Correspondent; or, the Adventures of Claudius Bombarnac
- Off on a Comet, or Hector Servadac
A Journey to the Centre of the Earth
ore to share our meal. To satisfy my conscience, I ate for both.
The old cook and housekeeper was nearly out of her mind. After taking so much trouble, to find her master not appear at dinner was to her a sad disappointment--which, as she occasionally watched the havoc I was making on the viands, became also alarm. If my uncle were to come to table after all?
Suddenly, just as I had consumed the last apple and drunk the last glass of wine, a terrible voice was heard at no great distance. It was my uncle roaring for me to come to him. I made very nearly one leap of it--so loud, so fierce was his tone.
THE MYSTERIOUS PARCHMENT
[Illustration: Runic Glyphs]
"I Declare," cried my uncle, striking the table fiercely with his fist, "I declare to you it is Runic--and contains some wonderful secret, which I must get at, at any price."
I was about to reply when he stopped me.
"Sit down," he said,