Free PDF Books
- Zenith Television Receiver Operating Manual
- An Expository Outline of the ''Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation''
- An Old Babylonian Version of the Gilgamesh Epic
- Ancient Poems, Ballads and Songs of England
- A Dialogue Between Dean Swift and Tho. Prior, Esq
- Arthur Hamilton, and His Dog
- De Koran
- Amusing Trial in Which a Yankee Lawyer Renders a Just Verdict
- Little Alice's Palace
A Brief Account of the Origin, Progress and Present State of the Colonial Settlements of Texas; Together with an Exposition of the Causes Which Have Induced the Existing War with Mexico
Excerpt: sts pillaged--the bowels of their earth ransacked, and their suffering families impoverished to glut the grandeur and enrich the coffers of their trans-Atlantic oppressors. To make their miserable servitude less perceptible, they were denied the benefits of the commonest education, and were kept the blind devotees of the darkest and most demoralizing superstition that ever clouded the intellects, or degraded the morals of mankind. From this it is evident, that up to the period of their independence, having been so long destitute of education, so long unaccustomed to think or legislate for themselves, and so long under the complete dominion of their liberty-hating Priests, they must have been totally unacquainted with the plainest principles of self-government. Let us examine what their subsequent opportunities of improvement have been.
At the close of the revolution, Iturbide, by fraud and force, caused himself to be proclaimed Emperor, who after much commotion, was dethroned, banished and shot. After